It seems almost every other week we hear of a cyber security breach at a major corporation. With all the news surrounding these breaches, it is easy to become desensitized to the severity of what a cyber security breach might mean to you. Do not let your guard down; these crooks look for any opportunity that can benefit them at the expense of others. We at Gamble Jones feel that cyber security is so important to everyone that we wanted to arm you, our clients, with some easy do-it-yourself procedures that can help protect you from a cyber-crime.
By incorporating the following procedures, you will decrease the potential of a nefarious act against you:Keep your computer virus definition files current with the latest updates from your provider and run virus scans on your computer daily.
- Apply all critical updates for your operating system on your home computer.
- Change all important passwords a minimum of every 6 months; they should contain at least 12 characters, if not more, and incorporate capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Do not use the same password for different sites.
- If applicable, turn on dual factor authentication for any online service you use. Dual factor authentication can be security questions or even the site sending a text to your cell phone.
- Make sure your financial institutions (broker, attorney, accountant, etc.) send confidential information via a secure client portal or through encrypted email.
- Verify any money movement transactions with your financial institutions and double-check any money movement instructions by phone.
Gamble Jones takes your personal and confidential information very seriously. Here are some of the procedures we take to protect you:
- We voice verify all third-party money movement. If you send us an email to move money to a third-party, expect a phone call from our client service team to verify your request. We will only contact you using the phone number we have for you in our system. If an email has a different contact number, we will not use it. If you have changed your phone number or address, please let us know.
- We will only send personal and confidential information via the secure online portal or our encrypted email system.
- We provide a secure document vault to our clients to store personal electronic copies of their trust, will, or any other document deemed necessary to protect. This vault protects our clients from disasters that could destroy the paper version and makes it easily accessible at any point in time.
Cyber security can be a scary topic, and Gamble Jones can only do so much to help protect you, our client. Implementing the procedures above is a great start to protecting your online profile. If you would like to take that protection to the next level, Lifelock and other identity theft protection services are great resources for monitoring and protecting your online profile. Through a partnership with our primary software firm, our clients may receive a 20% discount for life on LifeLock. If you decide to add their service, please call your Gamble Jones relationship manager to receive the discount code before calling LifeLock.
All of these items above can help you become more secure, and you will have greater peace of mind in knowing that your finances are protected. If you have any questions, please reach out to your relationship manager. We are here to help.
All the best,
Your Team at Gamble Jones